Your guide to mental health support for children
It’s never been more important to protect and support our children’s mental health.
In the last three years, the likelihood of young people having a mental health problem has increased by 50%. Now, five children in a classroom of 30 are likely to have a mental health problem.
Mind in Bradford and its partners offer a range of support for children and young people across the Bradford District and Craven. Here is your guide to local services offering support for 5-25-year-olds:
Mind in Bradford services:
- Our children and young people’s service, Know Your Mind, is here to support people aged between 5 and 19 (or up to 25 with additional needs such as special educational needs and disabilities) who are in the Bradford District. The services offers a mixture of wellbeing groups and one-to-one sessions.
Thank you for helping me all this time, you are a very amazing person to talk to and you understand me more than anyone else. You have made my life a lot easier and have made a big impact. I am very grateful that I got to talk to you.
– Know Your Mind client
- Anyone of any age can access Guide-Line, our free telephone helpline and live chat.
- Anyone aged 11 or over can book a one-to-one appointment with one of our recovery workers.
- For urgent mental health support, children and young people should call First Response on 0800 952 1181. Anyone aged 7 or over can be referred to Safe Spaces and get same-day support. Safe Spaces also offers overnight stays for children and young people in a safe, homely place, and drop-ins where you can get immediate support without booking.
Mind in Bradford is also the lead provider for the Youth in Mind partnership, which plays a pivotal role within the landscape of mental health and wellbeing services for children, young people and their families in the Bradford district and Craven.
Youth in Mind services:
- M.A.G.I.C. (Brathay Trust and SELFA): 1:1 sessions with youth workers and trained counsellors at a setting of the child or the family’s choosing.
- WRAP (Barnardo’s): A child-centered, self-care-focused 10-week Wellness Recovery Action Plan (WRAP) programme for young people experiencing difficulties with their emotional and mental wellbeing.
- Inspired Young & Healthy People (Inspired Neighbourhoods): Solution focused support to build resilience and reduce isolation via delivery of an 8 week Nurture Group Programme within schools, and additional 1-1 support to those young people with an identified need following completion of a Nurture Group. For young people age 8-18 in education settings in Bradford Central (BD1, BD2, BD3, BD5, BD7, BD8 or BD9).
- Buddies (Bradford Youth Service): Providing virtual, community, and school-based support to young people experiencing difficulties with their emotional and mental wellbeing through a mix of 1:1 support for up to 12 weeks and peer support groups. For anyone aged 11-19 or up to 25 with additional needs in Bradford district.
Posted on: 19th April 2023